- China's New Confucianism: Politics and Everyday Life in a Changing Society. Daniel A. Bell. Princeton and Oxford: Princeton University Press, 2008.
- From Ah Q to Lei Feng: Freud and Revolutionary Spirit in 20th Century China. Wendy Larson. Stanford: Stanford University Press, 2009
- Wandering Spirits: Chen Shuiyan's Encyclopedia of Dreams. Translated and with an introduction by Richard E. Strassberg. Berkeley, Los Angeles, London: University of California Press, 2008
- A Cultural History of Modern Science in China. Benjamin A. Elman. Cambridge, MA and London: Harvard University Press, 2006
- Back Alley Banking. Kellee Tsai. . Ithaca, N.Y.: Cornell University Press, 2002
- China's Trapped Transition: The Limits of Developmental Autocracy Minxin Pei. Harvard University Press, 2008
- Sentimental Fabrications. Rey Chow.
- Neither Gods Nor Emperors: Students and the Struggle for Democracy in China. Craig Calhoun. U of C Press. -> Craig Calhoun btw is an unstoppable BALLER. Big ups.
Wednesday, December 1, 2010
During a small break from work I collated a fat stack of papers from The China Quarterly to read and save my brain, and hammered down a must read list for myself over the next few weeks. No, months. Book club, NEbody?